Saturday, August 28, 2021

Apoyo

I use the phrase "Apoyo Nicaragua" in the URL of this blog for a few reasons. First, another blog uses SOSNicaragua, and the # character cannot appear in an address.

I also checked for "ayuda" meaning help; it was not available and I am glad for it, because this pushed me to consider "apoyo" instead. This means "support" and I am glad I settled on it. I endeavor to help my friends, of course, but that implies a certain passivity on their part -- and nothing could be further from the truth.

Rather, with this blog I intend to support Nicaraguans as they cope with profound political, economic, and public-health crises. I hope that by sharing their stories, I can provide encouragement to them and opportunities to others who might want to offer support of their own.

Nicaragua flags
Displaying the national flag in Nicaragua can
now get a person jailed, attacked, or killed.
And yet many fly them proudly.


No comments:

Post a Comment